Are you passionate about creating a fun and educational experience for children? Do you love cooking and tasting recipes from different countries? Chef Koochooloo is a web+mobile + social + educational platform that teaches kids about math, science and cultural sensitivity through a cooking technology platform and enrichment program. We are bootstrapped and grant-funded, with a nonprofit spirit, with a passion for making games that will stimulate, entertain, and leave a lasting, positive impression. We pride ourselves on contributing to the local community and creating a positive impact on the environment.
We’re looking for a hands-on tech leader who will take technical ownership for the startup that we’re building, and eventually join our team as a full-stack developer–Technical Leader.
We offer an unmatched environment in which to develop your knowledge of building early-stage tech startups, not just from the tech perspective but the wider business
We need a highly technical, forward-looking, leader who will own the technical vision of a squad and be accountable for the successful execution of our vision. We also desire those who can balance rapid iteration and development with high product quality expectations and who are innovative and comfortable with ambiguity.
As our Engineering Lead, you will:
- Own from end to end the short and long term technical vision of our team
- Be responsible for all major technical decisions
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to engineers within the agency we plan to hire to deliver on the building the next version of our platform
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers, customers, partners, and CEO
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- To guide the technology decisions of our team, while contributing alongside them
- The equivalent of 5+ years of experience in senior engineering roles (designing APIs, abstractions, and tools used by other engineers
- The equivalent of 8+ years of industry experience (preferably in the Education Technology space)
- Expert-level knowledge of:
- Serverless on AWS (DynamoDB, Cognito, AppSync/GraphQl, Amplify etc.)
- React Native for mobile
- Material-UI for design
- Git, unit testing, debugging, profiling, performance monitoring
- Strong communication and technical writing skills
- Understanding of Unity
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or a related technical field
- Preference for someone with previous experience building one or more games in a team-based setting.
- Strong mathematical ability.
- Be confident across a breadth of programming languages & platforms and able to go deep on specialist areas
- Ideally have a network of developers who are eager to work with you again
- Be a fantastic communicator, able to comfortably switch between managing stakeholder expectations and motivating fellow engineers
- Create monthly and quarterly product milestone reports for our stakeholders and funders
- Monitor and analyze technical market trends
- Study competitors’ services, tech stacks, and products
- Explore new ways of improving existing services and products
- Provide product training and technical expertise
- Identify and present innovative product solutions (such as building an API that allows us to order ingredients for each recipe that is a part of our app)
- Work within a software development methodology like AGILE
- Coordinate product and milestone releases with various stakeholders
- Answer product-related inquiries
In this role, you own the life-cycle process of growth and continual improvement of education and product content. Your role exists in the intersection of product management, content creation, software engineering, product marketing, and service design. You will identify opportunities through metrics, outline requirements and user benefits, create and manage project plans, manage our software development agency, and deliver program improvements designed to delight our learners and move the needle for our business at large.
We are a grant-funded small team, composed of 3 full-time employees, 3 part-time employees, and 10 + remote volunteers and advisors. You will accomplish all of the above by working closely with our instructional design experts while managing the production and operations, product marketing and design You will be the voice, the vision, and the face of the product you manage, making sure that things are accomplished in a timely manner, successfully hit targets, and with all key stakeholders on-board.
Experience with HTML5
Experience working in resource-constrained environments, such as mobile.
Familiarity with basic principles of art and design.
Knowledge of scripting languages (Python, bash, MaxScript, Perl)
We are located in Mountain View, but working remotely is a possibility.