Are you a US-based graduate student looking for a Six-Month internship in the Early Stage Startup environment? Do you feel like you can roll up your sleeves and add value in every aspect of the business if needed? Then check out this exciting opportunity:
About the Funder:
Our Startup might be eligible to receive a supplemental grant from the National Science Foundation, through (INTERN DCL: Non-Academic Research Internships for Graduate Students (INTERN) Supplemental Funding Opportunity NSF 18-102)
The opportunity is meant:
- To provide graduate students with the opportunity to augment their research –assistantships with non-academic research internship activities and training opportunities that will complement their academic research training
- To allow graduate students to pursue new activities aimed at acquiring professional development experience that will enhance their preparation for multiple career pathways after graduation; and
- To encourage the participation of graduate students from groups that have traditionally been underrepresented and underserved in the STEM enterprise: women, persons with disabilities, African Americans/Blacks, Hispanic Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Native Pacific Islanders, veterans, and persons from economically disadvantaged backgrounds
Further, it is expected that the internship on-site, (Mountain View, CA) research-focused in a STEM field or in STEM education research. Additionally, it is to promote multi-disciplinary activities that pursue the development of innovative approaches specific to advancing science and engineering research.
In other words, are you willing to roll up your sleeves, and do whatever it takes to forge new pathways of learning for children?
Then this job is for you. Together, we will change the world!
About the Startup:
Chef Koochooloo is a gamified platform that teaches children math, nutrition, science, and global competence through healthy cooking. We are looking for a creative researcher with a passion for creating technology and content for STEM and nutritional science education.
The Research Opportunity:
STEM Education, Physiology, and Nutrition Science Researcher.
The purpose of this position is to support our team in identifying modern health trends, summarizing relevant research, and applying sound nutrition science to STEM curriculum that will be presented via our application and technology platform. As a Researcher, you will gain practical experience and exposure contributing to the Chef Koochooloo brand and will develop professional skills that are highly relevant for employment in the Ed Tech and Food Tech food industry.
The product and curriculum design at Chef Koochooloo starts with a passion for making a lasting impact on education. You will help take our product from initial brainstorm to final launch and beyond, putting our users first in all that we do. You will hold an active role in our field research in classrooms, testing the effectiveness of our EdTech Product in a K-5 classroom setting. (1-3 hours per day), and working collaboratively with Engineering, Visual Design, Marketing, and design team to create the ideal curriculum to help students change behaviors in eating while improving their STEM education outcomes.
You will experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, innovative, and non-bureaucratic environment where cool things and big ideas happen daily. We are looking for folks who are excited about uncovering science-based evidence, developing curriculum and research that advocates healthy eating is linked to better academic outcomes.
In this role, you will
- Apply nutrition and education theory knowledge to identify opportunities based on scientific research, consumer trends, competitive landscape, nutrition policy, and regulatory environment
- Develop business understanding to align Chef Koochooloo insights and objectives with potential partners
- Monitor established and emerging modern health benefits to support the Chef Koochooloo team in staying ahead of nutrition science and consumer health trends
- Develop, syndicate and test content aligned with NGSS, ELA, IB, and Common Core educational standards
- Communicate data, insights and business requirements clearly, distilling complexity down to its essence
- Research and optimize current elementary education products, adaptive practice, concepts, and learning objectives to help develop a state-of-the-art learning platform that teaches healthy cooking and STEAM
- Construct content and research the impact and effectiveness of activities for demonstrating cooking, science, and nutrition concepts
- Lead the research or support education assessment project by data entry, cleaning, and verification, as well as report creation
- Collect monthly and end of the year evaluation reports through direct communication with school partners, tracking reports, entering data, and generating qualitative and quantities reports
- Literature review of multiple ongoing long-term impact study projects (History of pilot schools, teacher pipeline, long term impact of our project experiences on children
- Collaborate with colleagues for the production of the Chef Koochooloo monthly news broadcast
- Support colleagues in the creation and preparation of training material
- Establish Chef Koochooloo as a thought leader in the Nutrition and STEM education via Social Media Platforms, White Papers, Books and other potential mediums
- In this role, you will be asked to participate in teaching cooking classes to children using the application you are designing and creating content for, as part of our user research activities. If you do not feel comfortable working with children or food or being in a classroom setting for about 1-2 hours per day, we strongly suggest you consider the unpaid internship instead.
- Develop a compelling research project recommendation for a non-profit such as UNICEF, to partner with us and showcase us as a modern health benefit to education (e.g. functional ingredients, lower sugar, plant-based, etc.) including consumer insights; competitive strategies; government, health, science and education experts and consumer interest group activities.
Currently enrolled in a graduate-level degree program–must have completed at least one academic year in graduate programs — with an emphasis on STEM education, nutrition, dietetics, health, or related field.
- Subject Matter Knowledge in K-5 Science and ELA/ELD /NGSS, IB (Or willingness to learn)
- Evidence of previous product/project success as defined by usage and improvement metrics
- Bachelor’s degree in Education Technology, Computer Science, Education, Instructional design, Nutritional Science, or other STEM-related experience
- Shown strength with model building, defining metrics and running experiments and testing
Nice to have Requirements
- 1+ years of experience teaching in educational settings, with evidence of excellence in instruction at relevant K-5 Age levels
- UX and Product Design research (Proficiency in Adobe XD, or Sketch) –Visual designs not as imperative
- Ability to create and edit videos
How To Apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to Layla@chefkoochooloo.com
Your cover letter should be a professionally prepared, polished document that showcases your ability to write in a concise and clear manner. The letter should describe how the activity will better prepare you to enter the workforce. The resume (up to 2 pages) should contain the following information: Educational Preparation, Institution, Major, Year of study (1st year, 2nd year, etc.), Summary of graduate coursework completed, Professional employment history, Publications, Other information relevant to the proposed internship
Also, include a letter (written in the third person) to describe how the proposed internship activity will build on your graduate education experience.
You will be asked to volunteer with us for one week before being offered the position.