Country we are exploring: Belgium
Population: 11.2 million
Official language(s): Dutch, French, German (including many non-official languages such as: Flemish and Walloon!)
Suggestion for Fun image: Chef K characters riding bicycles through a parade or festival
Fun fact: The leek is a national emblem of Wales, whose soldiers historically wore the vegetable in their helmets.
English Recipe Name: Leek Tart
Name of dish in native country: Flamiche Aux Poireaux
Type of dish: Appetizer, side dish
Recommended season or holiday: Easter, New Year’s
Serving Size: 8
Ingredient Spotlight: Leeks
Leeks belong in the same family of vegetables as garlic and onions. The Roman emperor Nero ate leeks to make his voice stronger, but this isn’t necessarily true. However, scientists today agree that leeks are good for your heart.
- Stand mixer
- 9” tart pan
- Baking beads
- Large bowl
- 4 tbsp (or more) ice water
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 1 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups leek confit
Big Chef Duties:
- In a stand mixer, mix flour and salt and add butter in small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll dough to 12-inch round.
- Press dough into 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Put baking beads where the tart filling would go and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove baking beads and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Remove the crust from oven and allow to cool.
- Pour whisked mixture into the crust.
- Transfer back to the oven for another 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and allow to cool.
Little Chef Duties:
- Add all ice water and cider vinegar in bowl.
- Gently apply water-vinegar mixture to form smooth mixture.
- Flatten dough into circular disk (about 6-8 inches in diameter). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for two hours.
- Fold the excess dough inwards making sure that the tart walls are about 1.5 inches high.
Whisk together milk, cream, egg, egg yolk, and salt.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over bottom of crust. Spread leek confit over cheese and sprinkle remaining cheese on top of leek confit.
Learn while you wait: How is cheddar cheese made? Enzymes called rennet are added to milk which separates the milk into curds and whey. The curd is heated, pressed, and combined with salt. The curd is then left to mature as it turns to cheese.
Presentation: Present whole and cut servings as required
Teach the kids how to say Bon Appetit in the language of this recipe:
Dutch: Eet smakelijk!
French: Bon Appétit!
German: Guten Appetit!
Did you know?
In Belgium, children with a physical or mental handicap do not have the same opportunities as others. Typically, they do not have access to regular schooling. Often children with physical and mental handicaps in Belgium are discriminated against and kept isolated from other people.
Conversation Igniters: Do you think that it is fair that children with handicaps in Belgium are treated differently than other children?
Take Action: http://www.humanium.org/en/belgium/